La Grange aux bois
La Grange aux bois
The sharp contrast between the traditional, heavy gabions and the light and reflective PC sheets used in the project result in the outstanding architecture of the multi-sport complex of La Grange aux Bois located at the entrance of Metz, a provincial town on the east side of France. The PC sheets used in this project provide a solution to an automatic control of the light level. They allow for ‘optimization of the sunlight’ through a special, dynamic and cost-effective system incorporated in the panels.
During the day, the clear color and flawless texture of the PC sheets surface used here allows the design of this building to blend with its environment, at night the artificial light from the inside and the reflections of the surrounding light sources reveals furthermore the character and sharpness of the architecture. The polycarbonate material employed in the project is an ingenious system which integrates mobile poly- carbonate louvers within the panel. The position of the louvers is calculated and automatically adjusted during the day in order to bring or block the light and solar heat inside the building in order to offer a com- fortable light to the users. The north side and the west gable are equally made of PC sheets to guarantee a glare free light avoiding the discomfort of the late summer afternoons.
In this project the role of the PC sheets system used on the south façade, was to manage the light and in- sure comfort and wellbeing inside the building all day and all year long. This type of façade is very innova- tive and provides many advantages:
- In the summer, the solar heat is blocked by the closed louvers and the hot air is ventilated outside;
- In the winter: the louvers let the solar gain inside the building and the high insulating performance of the PC sheets maintain the heat inside the building in order to reduce the heating costs;
- It is easy to maintain, the louvers are inserted into the panels and therefore require no maintenance.
- It is an excellent thermal insulation;
- Provides automated control of the light.